Saturday, 20 January 2018
Items filtered by date: July 2017

Rap legend Tupac Shakur broke off a hush-hush fling with Madonna two decades ago because he thought dating the white pop star would hurt his image with his fans, a letter reveals.

The brief relationship between the two music icons only emerged two years ago, and now an auction house has put up for sale a 1995 letter from Tupac — who was shot dead just a year later — to Madonna in which the rapper breaks off the romance, saying, “I never meant to hurt you.”

“For you to be seen with a black man wouldn’t in any way jeopardize your career, if anything it would make you seem that much more open and exciting,” Tupac wrote neatly on lined paper.

“But for me at least in my previous perception I felt due to my ‘image’ I would be letting down half of the people who made me what I thought I was,” he wrote.

Tupac was apparently referring to his newfound status as a leading voice in hip-hop, with his songs frequently taking on police brutality and other issues of concern to many African Americans.

In the letter, he told Madonna he had read an interview in which the pop great said “‘I’m off to rehabilitate all the rappers and basketball players’ or something to that effect.”

“Those words cut me deep seeing how I had never known you to be with any rappers besides myself,” Tupac wrote.

The letter, first reported by the gossip site TMZ, will go on the block later this month at New York auction house Gotta Have Rock and Roll.

Shortly after the split with Madonna, Tupac went to prison on charges, which he denied, of sexually assaulting a woman in a hotel room.

Tupac, who left prison with an increasingly gangsta image, was killed the following year at age 25 in a still murky shooting in Las Vegas.

The relationship between the two music icons was not widely known until 2015 when Madonna — usually known for her openness — explained a foul-mouthed appearance two decades earlier on David Letterman’s late-night television show.

“I was dating Tupac Shakur at the time and, the thing is, he got me all riled up on life in general. So when I went on the show I was feeling very gangsta,” she told radio host Howard Stern.

Madonna in 1998 began to date English director Guy Ritchie, to whom she was married for eight years. She recently complained that she faced a double standard as a woman for taking younger lovers.

Tupac was engaged at the time of his death to designer Kidada Jones.

Published in Entertainment
Friday, 07 July 2017 00:16

Osinbajo declares support for Magu

The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crime C omission (EFCC) Ibrahim Magu (first left) and Governor Nasir El-Rufai(right) at the commissioning of the EFCC Kaduna Zonal Office on Thursday.

Acting President Yemi Osinbajo has said that as long as he remains in office, the acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Alhaji Ibrahim Magu will continue to remain as the Commission’s boss.

The statement came 48 hours after the Senate asked the acting president to remove the EFCC boss.

Represented by the Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, at the commissioning of the Kaduna zonal office of the EFCC, Professor Osinbajo said he had the same confidence and conviction President Muhammadu Buhari had about Magu’s capability to function effectively in the office of the EFCC.

Osinbajo said: “Shortly before the President left the country, I asked him about Ibrahim Magu and the President said he believes in what he is doing. He has his support. I want to also affirm here that Magu has my support. As far as I remain the acting President, Magu remains”.

EFCC boss, Magu in an address urged the Federal Government to immediately embark on the building of a prison in Sambisa forest for those arrested and convicted of corruption.

However, he explained that for the prison to become a reality, the judiciary arm of government should cooperate with the Commission.

He said that illegal monies are likely to be abandoned by corrupt persons at the nation’s airport and other places in near future as it happened at Kaduna airport some few months ago. Magu warned that if concerted efforts were not made to rid the country of corruption, the monster will infest the citizens and adversely affect the nation’s economy.

Said he: “We want to call for the establishment of a prison in Sambisa forest in order to keep away corrupt people from our midst. In this case, the judiciary has direct influence to help in the fight against corruption. But concerted efforts are being made by some big Nigerians to neutralise the fight against corruption”.

“We must change the narrative by fighting back those that do not want the fight to succeed. I remain committed to the fight against corruption, and I commend the Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai for encouraging EFCC to establish a zonal office in Kaduna. We must, therefore, join hands together to kill corruption before corruption will kill us”.

Meanwhile Speaking in his capacity as the Kaduna state governor, El-Rufai disclosed that the anti-graft agency had helped his government to recover over N500m from immediate past government officials who had milked the treasury.

He said the state government is ready to provide land for the EFCC training school in the state as well as for the building of their staff quarters.

Earlier, a member of the Presidential Advisory Committee, Professor Femi Odekunle pointed out that the presidential committee is behind Magu for his commitment in the fight against corruption.

Odekunle said, “We are not going to be cajoled by any technicalities. We will support the commission because most of our leaders are corrupt”.

Published in Headliners
Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme is to begin chemotherapy after being diagnosed with acute leukaemia.
 
The 31-year-old Nigerian returned “abnormal blood tests” during pre-season testing and further checks confirmed the diagnosis.
 
Ikeme has been with Wolves for his entire career, making more than 200 appearances for Wanderers.
 
Thirty-three of those came last season, having previously been in the team that won the League One title in 2013-14.
 
“It would be an understatement to say that everyone at Wolves has been shocked and saddened to hear the news of Carl’s diagnosis,” said Wolves managing director Laurie Dalrymple.
 
“That relates to both players and staff as Carl has been at the club for a very long time and remains such an integral personality within the group.
 
“At the same time, we all know what a fighter and a competitor Carl is, and I have no doubt that he will take all of those attributes into this battle.
 
“Similarly, its goes without saying that Carl and his family will receive the full love and support that we at Wolves can provide – we are all with him every single step of the way towards a full recovery.”
Published in Sports
Tuesday, 04 July 2017 15:04

Senate to Osinbajo: Remove Magu now

The Senate on Tuesday demanded that the acting President Yemi Osinbajo must obey the resolutions of the Senate, including the immediate removal of the acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu.

It also suspended all confirmation of appointments until compliance with its resolution.

Recall that the Chairman of the EFCC, who was appointed in Acting capacity by President Muhammadu Buhari on November 9, 2015, has consistently been rejected by the Senate.

Upon his appointment, Magu said he was committed to the anti-corruption war, drawing a connection between the economic challenges facing the country and the endemic corruption in the country.

 
Published in Business and Economy

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Monday released a timetable for the recall of Senator Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi West) from the Senate in spite of a lawsuit instituted by the senator to stop the Commission from proceeding with the process.

According to the timetable, the process will begin on July 10 with notice of verification of constituents to be posted at INEC’s Lokoja office and end on August 19 with the conduct and announcement of the outcome of the verification of the constituents who want the senator out of the Senate.

The constituents of the senatorial district on June 21 submitted a petition to INEC demanding Melaye’s recall, citing his “abysmal performance” at the Nigerian Senate and as their reason. The senator was also accused of distancing himself from his constituents.

“For the past two years, Senator Melaye has not organised one town hall meeting anywhere in Kogi West to meet with the people to present his scorecard or stewardship,” Leader of the constituents, Chief Cornelius Olowo, told State-run News Agency of Nigeria shortly after submitting the petition for the recall to INEC.

“He has been completely disconnected from the people. Since he won his election and the legal battle at the court, he is no longer reachable.

“He has no constituency office in Kogi West as we speak, as a way to reach him on the matter of interests from the people that elected him,” Olowo said.

But the Senator insisted the petition against him was sponsored by agents of the Kogi State Government because of his criticisms of Governor Yahaya Bello’s administration.

Melaye also alleged that they claimed to have gotten over 188,000 signatories of electorates in Kogi West when the total vote cast, both valid and rejected, in the last senatorial election of 2015, was merely 111, 000 for all the candidates that participated.

“This recall exercise was hatched in Kogi Government House due to the manner in which Senator Dino Melaye consistently challenges and engages the government over non-payment of workers’ salaries and pensioners for over 15 months; and also the constant closure of tertiary institutions,” he stated.

Published in Headliners

The beautiful Natasha Salifyanji Kaoma campaigns for girl's empowerment in Zambia through the use of disposable/ re-usable menstruation pads. She solicits for and distributes these menstrual pads to girls and young women in Zambia through her Foundation called Copper Rose Zambia, whose motto is: Beautiful. Valuable. Empowered.

Kaoma is a woman of many parts. She studies Medicine and Surgery (MBChB) at University of Zambia; is Global University Ambassador at Milky Way Youth Movement; is Associate Fellow at Royal Commonwealth Society; and she also studied Women's Leadership at University of Delaware.

Kaoma was recently recognized for her pioneering work in Zambia girl's/ young women menstrual hygiene empowerment at Buckingham Palace, as one of 60 people from around the world selected as 'Queen's Young Leader.'

Her comments: "I was privileged to have been one of the 60 people from around the world to be selected as a Queens Young Leader, the ONLY ZAMBIAN!! and i got to meet the Queen Elizabeth herself whom I spoke to about my work and my drive. And YESS! i sat next to her in the group picture too. I also got to speak to Prince Harry and former Prime minister Sir John Major and other high profile leaders about my work in Zambia.

"It's taken me some time to process what has happened in the past few weeks...Mostly because this is award is not for me, its for all the people in my organization Copper Rose Zambia who work tirelessly to ensure that we reach out to as many girls and women as possible. This award is dedicated to all the women and girls who are not living to their potential, this is a testimony that nothing is impossible.

"I would like to thank God almighty, for this vision that he has put in my heart to improve the lives of millions of african women, my best friends F & S, my parents and family members, all our donors and supporters of our work, my mentors who tell me which way i should go, the Zambian high commission in UK, the British High Commission in Zambia, all the local and international change makers who continue to raise the bar and show me i can do much more in this environment. I salute you all.

"Everytime i look at these pictures and at this award, i am reminded that the work has only just began, 990 000 women and girls are still waiting to be empowered by 2021.
"Do your best, be your best, be as selfless as you can be, the rest will follow" N.S.K
Outfit: Lyn Callander
Purse: Christina Mbalose Lungu
#Queensyoungleaders #Impossibleisnothing #CopperroseZambia#MenstruationMatters #beautiful #valuable #empowered

Chiquemagazine.com congratulates Kaoma on her wonderful achievement for herself, for her family, for Zambia and for Africa.

Natasha 1 Natasha 2 Natasha 3 Natasha 4 Natasha 5 Natasha 6 Natasha 7 Natasha 8 Natasha 9 Natasha 10 Natasha 11 Natasha 12 Natasha 13

Published in News & Stories

Neymar has said that he was too shy to speak to Lionel Messi after arriving at Barcelona in 2013.

The Brazil international star now shares top billing at Camp Nou alongside Messi, but making the step from Santos to Barcelona was harder than it might seem from the outside for Neymar.

In an interview with Brazilian television show Caldeirao do Huck, he explained his nerves at stepping into a star-studded squad.

"I came into the dressing room, looked to one side and there was Messi, I looked the other and there was Xavi [Hernandez], [Andres] Iniesta, [Gerard] Pique, Dani Alves ... I thought I was inside a video game," Neymar said.

Lionel Messi and Neymar have gone on to enjoy major success together at Barcelona.

"One day I was playing with them on the console and the next I was there alongside them. The first month was the most complicated. I was ashamed to speak to Messi, [he and the others] were idols for me. I was the new arrival and the youngest more or less."

However Neymar progressed rapidly at Barcelona and has become part of arguably the strongest attacking unit in the world, the MSN, alongside Messi and Luis Suarez.

On Oct. 21 the forward signed a new five-year contract which keeps him at Barcelona until 2021. After signing he explained that while he felt "a little intimidated" at first, he is now good friends with his teammates.

Neymar was one of the guests at Messi's wedding to Antonella Roccuzzo in Rosario on June 30 before continuing his holiday in Brazil by attending the Villa Mix Goiania festival.

Published in Sports

Michael Keane has admitted he was tempted to return to Manchester United before deciding to leave Burnley for Everton.

However, the defender's 30 million Pounds Sterling move to Goodison Park on Monday is still set to net United more than £7m thanks to their 25 percent sell-on clause.

Keane, who left Old Trafford for Burnley in 2015, was on United boss Jose Mourinho's list of targets this summer.

But after United spent £31m on centre-back Victor Lindelof, Keane opted for Everton.

"Of course it was a temptation [to rejoin United]," Keane told Sky Sports. "It's your boyhood club but you have got to take your heart out of it sometimes and think what's best for you, and I feel as if this is the best place for me to come and continue my development. It's a club with such big history and a great fan base so I can't wait to pull on the shirt and play for this club."

Michael Keane left Burnley for Everton on Monday.

Keane, who made five first-team appearances at United, is hoping to earn a place in England's squad for next summer's World Cup, providing they qualify for the tournament.

He has already won two caps under England boss Gareth Southgate, but was left out of the squad for the games against Scotland and France in June.

Keane is hopeful that a season under Everton boss Ronald Koeman, a former Netherlands and Barcelona centre-back, can boost his international chances.

He added: "I have been fortunate enough that in the clubs I have played in the past, the manager has played in my position as well, and I feel like he was a very classy centre-half so he can still teach me things. I want to develop. I am only 24-years-old, which is young for a centre-half, but I feel how much they wanted me was a big factor as well."

 

Published in Sports

A former Minister of National Guidance, Amb. Maitama Sule, is dead.

Reports said Sule died on Monday morning in Egypt.

The deceased, a hugely respected orator and diplomat, was a former Federal Commissioner of Public Complaints.

He was also a presidential candidate of the defunct National Party of Nigeria (NPN) in 1979 but lost to former President Shehu Shagari in the party primaries.

Sule was later appointed Nigeria’s representative to the United Nations after the inception of democratic rule in 1979.

While there he was picked as chairman of the UN Special Committee against Apartheid.

After, Shagari’s re-election in 1983, Sule was made the Minister of National Guidance, a portfolio designed to assist the President in tackling corruption.

Published in Business and Economy

The wife of ailing Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has left the country to visit him in London after first attending an African Union event, her office said.

Aisha Buhari’s office said late on Sunday that she was first heading to the AU summit in Addis Ababa for a “symbolic appearance” at a leaders’ wives meeting.

She will then head to Britain on Tuesday, a statement said, adding: “”She will convey to the president the best wishes of Nigerians and their fervent prayers for his quick recovery.”

Aisha Buhari first visited her 74-year-old husband in London on May 30 and returned to Nigeria on June 6, saying he was recovering fast.

The head of state of Africa’s most populous nation has spent most of this year in London receiving treatment for an unspecified medical condition.

In January and February, he spent almost two months in Britain and on his return in early March said he had never been as ill.

He left for the British capital again on May 7 for a second round of medical treatment. No date was given for his return.

The presidency has repeatedly rejected rumours that Buhari is terminally ill or even dead but has refused to disclose his illness or what treatment he is having.

Last week, opposition Ekiti state governor Ayodele Fayose advised Buhari to resign but his supporters rejected the suggestion.

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has been acting on his behalf in accordance with the constitution.

Buhari’s absence has brought forward behind-the-scenes jostling for position for the 2019 presidential election at which the ailing leader is unlikely to stand.

In 2010, Nigeria was plunged into months of political turmoil after president Umaru Musa Yar’Adua died in office following months of treatment abroad.

Published in Business and Economy
Page 4 of 5

Newsletter